Friday, January 31, 2020

What I learned From My Mentorship with Tammi Sauer


When I found out I won the mentorship with Tammi Sauer, I may have done a happy dance in the toy isle at Target. I could hardly believe that Tammi had chosen me to be her mentee. Tammi is my favorite picture book author, and the opportunity to work with her was a dream come true. I had to pinch myself to realize I wasn’t dreaming.

Once the initial shock wore off, Tammi and I got right to work. She had already seen three of my manuscripts, but she asked me to send her three more. She also asked me to send her ideas for future manuscripts, and she told me which ideas she felt were worth pursuing. This was extremely helpful, and really gave me an idea of what I needed to do next, and where I needed to focus my effort.

Tammi then went on to edit three of my picture book manuscripts. She took what appeared to be great manuscripts, and made them amazing. We would email back and forth, until Tammi felt the manuscript was just right. She is a master at revision. She helped me to dig deeper and write better than I ever have before. I loved getting Tammi’s comments and feedback on each manuscript. Every email from Tammi was a treasure trove of knowledge. I learned so much about picture books from her. Tammi really knows her stuff, and she was more than happy to share everything she knows with me. She made my manuscripts shine.

Working with Tammi was everything I imagined and more. Tammi was kind, generous, and extremely helpful. She has so much knowledge and expertise in the picture book industry, and she graciously shared anything and everything with me. She was a true joy too work with.

I now have three strong manuscripts, and I am in the process of researching and submitting to agents. Tammi has given me recommendations, and told me which manuscript to submit first. I would not be where I am without Tammi’s help. She has been the absolute best mentor. I truly am lucky to have had this opportunity. I cannot thank Tammi enough for all of her help. But most of all, I am glad to have made a new friend. Thanks, Tammi.

I also want to thank Tara for creating this amazing opportunity and program. Without her, none of this would be possible. She is such a kind and generous person, and I am glad to have had the chance to get to know her and to be a participant in WWTS. Thanks, Tara.

No comments:

Post a Comment