Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Reading is Magic

Reading to children is magic. Together, with a book, we can discover new and exciting things. We can swim with sharks, sail across oceans, go to outer space, discover dinosaurs, uncover monsters, laugh until our sides hurt, and learn about things we’ve never seen before. The possibilities are endless. All it takes is one word, one page, one book at a time.

Lately, my daughter and I have been immersed in the magic of Harry Potter. Each night we sit down and read a chapter (or two or three if my daughter can help it). It is fun sharing this with her. She gets so excited each night. She cannot wait to see what happens next. And every night she gets to discover something new about wizards and witches, wands and spells, broomsticks and flying, potions and cauldrons, castles and sorting hats, and so much more. Without books, this would not be possible. We would not be able to share this experience together. She would know nothing of this exciting and magical world.

I am glad that there are so many good books. I love that all I have to do is open one, and my children and I can be taken to a place we have never been before. Or we can open a book and revisit a place we love again and again. There is no limit to the places we can go, or the things we can see. Reading really is its own kind of magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment